It's Friday so it must be time for some frugal tips to save money. I love finding tips to make cleaning easier and to save money on cleaning solutions. There are many, many more tips on using vinegar, please go to www.vinegartips.com to see all the ideas out there.
1. For stained and smelly plastic food containers, wipe them with a cloth dampened with white distilled vinegar. I will try this soon, I've got many plastic, stained food containers.
2. To clean a grease splattered oven door window, saturate paper towels with full-strength white distilled vinegar and place on the glass oven door window. Keep the oven door open for 20 minutes before wiping with a sponge. I tried this tip and it worked somewhat but my oven door was in very bad shape.
3. Rid your shower head or faucet of lime deposits by tying a plastic bag containing ½ cup of white distilled vinegar around it, and leaving it there for 2 – 3 hours. Wipe down with a sponge and scrub any remaining deposits with an old toothbrush. I tried this one and it worked beautifully.
4. To make your toilet bowl sparkle and smell fresh, pour a cup or more of diluted white distilled white vinegar and let it sit several hours or overnight. Scrub well with a toilet brush and flush. I tried this and it is great, easy and so much cheaper than buying toilet bowl cleaners.
5. Get cleaner and softer laundry by adding ¼ cup white distilled vinegar to the last rinse. Besides removing soap, white distilled vinegar prevents yellowing, and acts as a fabric softener and static cling reducer. I plan on trying this for sure.
6. Soften your cuticles on your fingers and toes before manicuring them by soaking in a bowl of white vinegar for 5 minutes. I plan on trying this one.
7. Before applying polish, wipe your clean nails with a cotton ball that has been dipped in vinegar. It removes natural oils from the nails so that color can adhere better. It is reported to prevent chipping too. I definitely want to try this.
8. Eliminate bad breath and whiten your teeth by brushing once or twice a week with white distilled vinegar.
9. Make your own earth-friendly window cleaner. Mix ¼ cup rubbing alcohol and 1/3 cup vinegar in a 32 oz. spray bottle, then fill with water. Lightly spritz on a lint free cloth and wipe down mirrors and glass.
10. Make onion odors disappear from your hands by rubbing with white distilled vinegar. Also, if you have burned something in the kitchen, try boiling a small amount of water with ¼ cup of white distilled vinegar. The steam will circulate the room and eliminate the burned smell.