|To make it extra delicious, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the top of your soup.|
Do any of you enjoy soup? I love a good soup, especially a hearty soup for dinner. Try this one, you won’t be disappointed. The original inspiration for this soup came from www.JennySteffens.blogspot.com. Do all your chopping before you start. The vegetable amounts are approximate, if you have some favorite vegetables, feel free to add or substitute as you see fit. Chopped tomatoes could be substituted for the crushed tomatoes.
|The chorizo is cooked and crumbled, and I have added the carrots, mushrooms, and onions.|
|Add the crushed tomatoes after cooking the vegetables and garlic.|
|After adding the chicken broth and cream, add the spinach leaves.|
|The finished soup after simmering for 15 minutes. So yummy!|
1 pound Chorizo sausage links – I used Johnsonville.
Chopped baby carrots, approximately 16
6 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced and/or chopped
¾ cup chopped white onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups raw spinach leaves with stems removed
4 cups of 99% fat free chicken broth
½ to ¾ cup half and half or cream - depending on how acidic your crushed tomatoes are - see directions
1 large can crushed tomatoes – should be 3 ½ cups
Optional – you may need to add up to 2 teaspoons sugar if your crushed tomatoes are too acidic
Also optional, you may want to add grated parmesan cheese to the top of your bowl of soup to kick it up a notch.
· Remove the casing from the chorizo and place it in a dutch oven on medium to high heat on your stovetop.
· Break up the sausage into small pieces as you are cooking it.
· When it is pretty well cooked, drain as much grease as you can.
· Add the carrot, mushrooms, and onions and cook an additional 7 minutes.
· Add the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
· Next, add the crushed tomatoes.
· Add the chicken broth, cream, and spinach and stir well.
· Bring to a boil, at this point, taste the soup and see if you need to add more cream or half and half and/or sugar if your soup tastes too acidic.
· Then lower the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
Soup is ready!