Wednesday, July 30, 2014

EASY, LOW CALORIE APPLE CAKE


I came across a simple, one bowl recipe for apple cake on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try. Since I'm dieting in preparation for my daughter's wedding, I decided to make some substitutions to lower the calorie count.  I was pretty successful since a slice of this apple cake is only 92 calories.  Now that is a dessert I can handle easily within my diet!






INGREDIENTS:

1 egg
1 cup less 2 tablespoons of white sugar (this is equivalent to 7/8 cup)
1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 cup of fat free Greek yogurt, plain flavor
2 medium to large apples ( I used Granny Smith but almost any apple will do)
1 cup flour, I used whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda 

DIRECTIONS:

Grease a 9 inch cake pan.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add the egg, sugar, cinnamon, and yogurt to a bowl and stir until completely combined. 

Peel and dice your apples and add to the bowl, stirring to cover the apples so they don't turn brown.

Mix together the baking soda and flour, then add the ingredients in the bowl.  Using a fork, stir until all the flour mixture is combined with the other ingredients. 

Pour into your greased 9 inch cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees approximately 20 - 25 minutes.  Use a toothpick to test for doneness. 

The calorie count above is based on 10 servings.

The original Pinterest recipe was posted by www.sweetthing.SBC90.com.

3 comments:

  1. Looks delish!! And at 92 calories a serving, you can't beat that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely light cake, made a few times now it keeps well in fridge and is also nice with raisins added along with the apple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding raisins is a great idea! I need to try that, it sounds so good.

      Delete